Thursday, July 31, 2014

Day 41: Gee Brief: The Return of the Methodists!!!

July 31
Coeur D'Alene to Spokane, Washington

Due to a number of factors, but mostly because my wife loves me, we decided to do a short ride today from Coeur D'Alene (I am so tired of typing that impossible to type name) to Spokane. Factor 1 - Today was Jenard's first day back on the road after his mishap and discovering the crack in his top tube. Better to take a short day to test him out. Factor 2 - There's a beautiful bike path from CDA to Spokane that would make today's 40 ride that much more pleasant. Factor 3 - Day 40 was a particularly grueling day and a mini-break would be nice.  Factor 4 - My wife suggested it and I jumped at the chance. She rocks!

So there I was enjoying the wonderful bike path when I came across the man below. His name is Mike.  He was fixing a flat tire. I stopped to make sure he was OK. We started to chat and discovered that we both had Treks. So we talked about the ins and outs of owning carbon fiber bikes. We also swapped crash stories. His definitely topped any I had ever had, although, I think I've had MORE crashes than him. However, his had put him in the hospital and took three months to completely recover from.  We talked about cycling and touring in general. He was mentioned that I was taking the dream trip that he would someday like to do. He seemed to be a great guy and I hope that this happens for him someday. After we stopped chatting and I was sure he was OK, I bid him goodbye and started down the path. After about 1000 feet, I stopped. I realized that in our conversation, he had mentioned something about the Moody Bible Institute. "No... I thought....he couldn't be." I simply had to know. 

Just a brief catch up, for those who are joining the blog late. Toward the beginning of the trip, I was running into an unusually high number of ministers.

So, I had to know, were the Methodists back?  I rode back to him and said, "I know this is a weird question, but, are you a minister?" His eyes opened a little wider and he said, "Yes I am".

And that started a conversation which lasted for the next couple hours or so. Since he too was headed to Spokane, I asked him if he wanted to ride together for a while. We road and traded life stories, theories on economics and charity, and of course, God. The most wonderful part of the conversation was that it was a conversation....no preaching.  Just a sharing of ideas and stories. It was a truly wonderful couple of hours.

When we reached Spokane, I called J and she came and picked me up at the spot that Mike and I stopped for a break. I introduced J to Mike, we talked for a bit more, and then he asked us if it would be OK if we prayed. J and I said, that would be nice. I honestly don't remember the specific words he said, but they were honest, straight from the heart, and I remember tears welling up in my eyes. Mike is a truly blessed man, and he spreads that blessing to others. He certainly did to J and I. Thanks Mike!

Mike
After checking in to our motel, which is the coolest LOOKING motel we've stayed in yet, we went to a Pho restaurant named Pho Van. The meal was superb. We both tried something OTHER than Pho!
Great noodle soup!
Cool castle like motel!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment