Saturday, July 12, 2014

Day 21: Vinton, IA to Clear Lake, IA: Early Day 22: (J's Version)

I just rode 124 miles! I'm going to Disneyland!
Good morning! Guess what?????????? G rode a record 124 miles yesterday!!! WOO HOO!!! I'm so excited for him. Completely bad ass! He hardly even broke a sweat, too. Granted it was almost a 12 hour day, but he did it. He's so modest about it though. (Seriously) I'm sure in his version, he will attribute it all to the wind being at his back and pushing him and how the overcast weather was the perfect temperature an that it was the easiest ride due to all those factors. Well, factors or not, he cycled 124 miles. End of story.

Today, starts following the Trek route. Clear Lake, IA to Okoboji, IA which is about 109 miles. At least with the new Trek route, we know for sure that there are hotels in that particular area. Saturdays are tough because it's like no matter where we are, the hotel rates are sky high. Plus, Okoboji is apparently like a resort town because it's on a lake, so even the Super 8 on the outskirts is pricey. I'm going to wait until later today though to call for more rates because by that time the hotels might be desperate to sell a room. Also, today should be our last day in Iowa!!!!

Yesterday, after I left Cup of Joe's, I eventually found G on the highway/interstate/crazymoforoad. I mapped out the time and miles in my head, and I kept getting worried because I could not find him. (He forgot to restart the GPS tracker after a battery switch) Turns out he exceeded my
Reapplying Sunscreen
expectations and was about 10 miles ahead of the game. He read the Common Core of Cycling last night. Maybe that helped.

I pulled over. We hugged. I gushed over how he was making great time. Actually, the dialogue went more like, "No offense, but I didn't think you'd be this far by now." I provided him with a nice, cold V8 from the cooler. He showed me the dog bird? that kept following him. We kissed and said our goodbyes.

Then, I drove on and found a motel that seemed perfectly normal; however, I noticed all these single somewhat sketchy looking guys walking throughout the hotel. I'm sure they were totally fine, but I always kind of get like that anyways especially if i'm alone in an unfamiliar place. I sat on the bed with my laptop to keep me busy for the hour or so wait until G got there. A few minutes later, SOMEONE IS OPENING THE DOOR TO THE ROOM.

Keep in mind, i'm already kind of on edge. The first thought that crossed my mind was that maybe it was G, and he asked the front desk for a key to the room. Then, I was like "nah" he wouldn't do that because he knows that would scare me. The next thing that crossed my mind was that I've watched too many episodes of Dexter. Dexter wouldn't be the one getting me because Dexter would be getting the guy who was coming into my room! Plot twist....it was a woman entering my room.

Turns out the maid came in and saw me and was like, "Oh, sorry. I thought this room needed to be cleaned." Regardless of the mix up, it still creeped me out.

When he got in, we had dinner and went to the gas station for a coffee. The liquor license law in Iowa is not strict at all because they sell hard liquor at the gas station!!! We were amazed. The cashier said, "Yeah, there's nothing to do in Iowa but drink."


Light reading material
I left this morning when G did. Now, i'm at Cabin Coffee. It's kind of the opposite to yesterday's Cup of Joe. Cabin
Coffee looks just how it sounds like a log cabin coffee shop equip with a deer head mounted on the wall. Very cozy though. They even provide you with something to read.

Today, marks the year anniversary of the ERRACE last year that G did and came in 2nd to last. It was a century ride that he rode on his mountain bike without training too much. We were bummed to miss it this year because obviously he would kick BUTT now.

Have a great day!



2 comments:

  1. 124 miles! Way to go Gee! That's amazing, you would definitely kick but in the ERRACE now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Jared...WOO HOO !! Luv mom xoxo

    ReplyDelete