Monday, July 14, 2014

Day 22 The Gee Brief - Wind, Rain and Dirt Roads....

July 22nd
Clear Lake, IA to Estherville, IA


The pic pretty much sums up my day. My phone crapped out, so I resorted to the Garmin as a back up. Turns out that Garmin interprets, "Avoid Highways" as "find the nearest DIRT ROAD, and put you on it, after sending you 10 miles inland, so that going back will waste 2 hours of travel."

I'm pretty sure that's what it says in the Garmin manual, because that's what it did! Both Jenard (a Trek Domane 6.2) and the Armadillo tires he wears were designed for exactly this type of terrain. Well....maybe not EXACTLY, but the the cobblestones of Roubaix and the rumble strips of most highways.

Anyway, after approximately 10 excruciating miles of dirt and rock road, I finally got on to a paved, WINDY road. Just when I started to feel sorry for myself, it started RAINING!!!

The upside of the day, is that I still did about 90 miles. The other upside is that I finally got to listen to a windmill up close.  I mean REALLY up close, standing right at the base.  Here's the video of what I found: Do Windmills Make Noise?

No comments:

Post a Comment