Monday, July 7, 2014

Day 16: The Pho Experience and Land of Lincoln, Oswego, IL (J's Version)

Good morning! It's about 6:30 am and both G and I are blogging at the same time. A couple that blogs together stays together. It's kind of funny because yesterday we came from Indiana to Oswego, IL and when G got back he said, "I didn't realize that Lincoln was born in Indiana. I always thought it was Illinois." It turns out, G missed the "Welcome to Illinois, Land of Lincoln" sign and thought the whole time he was still in Indiana!!

Yesterday's journey was a first because G took all MAIN roads instead of side roads. Often times the side roads are better because they aren't as busy, BUT because it's a side road the routes can be very confusing with turns every 2 seconds, so if you're on a bike trying to find your way it can be rough. If he took the main roads yesterday, it would be a STRAIGHT shot on Route 30 West. Technically, route 30 isn't straight because there are turns, but it's a heck of a lot easier to follow the route 30 W signs then street names on the side roads. The downside of being on a main road like Route 6 for our B town peeps or The Boston Post Road for my hometown peeps is that it's BUSY with crazy cars. Also, you HAVE to be alert because there are a few on ramps and cars are coming in from all directions. Of course I was scared silly because I, too, was on the road and can't imagine being on a bike with all the traffic, but G's an experienced cyclist. Kids, do NOT try this at home. That's another thing that still baffles me. A lot of the roads that G takes seem like they are actual highways that he should NOT be on. Not just because I'm a worried wife but as a law.

We skirted around the very very south part of Chicago. G wanted to avoid the big city obviously. Hopefully, on the drive back east we'll make a stop in Chicago because I've never been there and always heard how cool it is.

Saigon Noodle House was very good! Although, I did feel really bad for the kid working the register because the credit card machine wasn't working right, and he couldn't get it fixed. I ended up just searching for some cash instead. He was no more than probably 15 or 16, and I could definitely tell that he was mixed like me. I have mixed Asian radar. Normally, I would have asked him, but he was too stressed trying to fix the machine.

I forgot that Pho to go isn't as good as eating at
You can put anything inside really
the restaurant, but I'm glad I waited for G because we both look forward to having dinner together after a long riding day. To hold myself over until dinner, I ordered shrimp Summer Rolls. They are usually $3-5 dollars for two. I learned how to make these and believe me. They do NOT cost much to make at all, so the restaurants make probably a 95% profit. As long as you have the special wrapper and rice vermicelli noodles anyone can make them, and they are quite impressive to bring over as an appetizer for parities. I would say that you have to find a special Asian grocery store for the wrapper and vermicelli, BUT Stop & Shop sell both. The exact kind, too found in the Asian grocery store. Well, at least two Stop & Shops that I've been in have.

Also, I forgot that Pho to go doesn't provide you with bowls because they assume you're eating at HOME and will have bowls. Therefore, I had to make a stop at Target to get two $1.99 microwavable bowls. If you ever do try Pho get the rare beef because it tastes better. Don't freak out about it being "rare" because the meat is sliced SO thin that when they pour the hot water over it, it cooks instantly.


Have a great day! We are aiming for Iowa for later today. Stay tuned!

That's my sister. This will be the test to see if she really reads our blog. 


No comments:

Post a Comment