Saturday, July 26, 2014

Day 34: Lovell, WY to Columbus, MT Day 35: Columbus, MT to Bozeman, MT (J's Version)

Good morning!! Currently today is day 36, but we've declared it a non-riding day, so G can catch up with his blogging. Plus, Bozeman, Montana is an awesome city to explore. The countryside in Montana is GORGEOUS. I might even venture to say the prettiest landscape we've seen yet. (I think G has pictures of the land) Rolling green hills with trees each spaced perfectly, so it looks like someone's massive well kept lawn. The Rocky Mountains are on either side of you looking tough. Just daring you as you stare at them. "You were scared of a 10% grade? How's 70% for you?!" 

750 more miles to go!! Boo ya!

Yesterday, was the first day back on I 90 for G. The highway is much better. Plus, Montana is smart because they have service stations roughly every 35 miles on I 90. Also, since G is back on the highway, we're assuming the route won't be as hilly opposed to taking back roads that go directly on the mountains.

Day 34 brought us to Columbus, MT. Since Columbus is right on I 90, I felt like we were back in civilization again. There was a McDonald's and a huge truck stop. Also, right next to the McDonald's was this SUPER small little mini building that was just calling my name. "Check me
out. Take my picture." I walk up to the window of this establishment, and it turns out it's what they call a "coffee kiosk." Apparently, it's a common thing in the west. Basically, it's a drive thru coffee stand. (They humor the walk up people like me) Their menu was quite extensive, AND cheap. Holy cow. I got my black iced coffee, and it was a DOLLAR out the door. Actually, NOT out the door since there was no door for me to go through. Just a flat dollar. I asked the barista if they are allowed to take tips (One of the many things G has taught me. Tip everyone. The D&D ladies love him.) and she goes with a big smile, "YES, WE CAN!" I gave her a 100% tip. Ballin' !

Day 35 started off nicely. G was on the road a few minutes before 6. I met him at 10 am at a rest stop, and we had some grub. He was making outstanding time. We parted ways, and I went the next 65 miles straight to Bozeman. There was a stop in the middle for G, so I didn't need to meet him there. If I thought Columbus was civilization well than Bozeman is NYC. They have a mall AND a Barnes & Noble. Apparently, it's a college town as well because Montana State University is there. (Not to be confused with The University of Montana which is in Missoula) 


Downtown Bozeman
Unfortunately, after we left each other, the wind decided to go against G. He normally would have been back at around 4/4:30, but didn't get in until quarter after 6!! A 12 hour day for 105 miles. It really is amazing at how intense the wind can be and hold you back when you ride.

The downtown area in Bozeman is full of life and rather trendy. Kind of like if downtown New Haven (Yale area) and Blue Back Square West Hartford had a baby who liked to ride horses and wear big hats. G and I are currently at Wild Joe's Coffee Spot on our laptops blogging. We had breakfast at Cafe Francais Du Arts (yummy salmon crepe), and the owner is French and her accent was just lovely.

Tomorrow, we'll be on route to Butte, MT. KNOCK ON WOOD the temperature has been quite favorable thus far in Montana. The avg temp yesterday was in the 70s. The following day Missoula, MT. Then, Wallace, ID. Next,
Wild Joe's Coffee Spot
Spokane, WA. After Spokane we're not totally sure which city because that's when I 90 does not follow our path, but we figure probably 2-3 days after that will be the Pacific. Almost there!

I don't know if any of you have been reading Ken's blog. The XC guy G met back in Iowa. Ken was the fellow cross country cyclist that G met on the road. He's riding solo. I've been reading his blog, and it's so funny because SO many of the experiences and insights that Ken writes about G does, too. They both were chased by dogs, can't believe all the corn fields in Iowa, and each one looked up online if it was okay to cycle in a thunder and lightening storm! On the other hand, they both have had many different experiences as well. Ken started in Washington state and went through pretty much ALL of Montana which translates on a bike to 13 days. Ken takes advantage of the organization, Warm Showers. Basically, people take in cyclists for a night and give them a place to stay and a...warm shower.

Love French cafes
The website has a disclaimer that Warm Showers is just the middle man. YOU and YOU alone are responsible for your own safety. In retrospect, G has even said we took the harder way from East to West because the wind is definitely more favorable overall going West to East. Another funny thing is that Ken is from the Westchester County area in NY which isn't that far from where we live. I think it would be cool if him and G met up the end of the summer for dinner and just talk about their trip.

I'm going to walk around Bozeman and leave G at his laptop. Have a great day!

PS. Shout out to our friend L who warned us about all the wild fires happening in WA and OR!
PPS. Thanks so much for all of your positive/concerned comments. It means a lot to us, and I apologize if we didn't comment back.
PPPS. I leave you with the unique artwork hanging on the wall at Wild Joe's.




No comments:

Post a Comment