Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Day 18: Rock Falls, IL to Mt. Vernon, IA (J's Version)

Good morning! After I blogged yesterday morning, I was a worried mess. I was at the Mcd's in Clinton, Iowa waiting for G to go by. I figured out the time just right and was even keeping track of him on the GPS tracker. Then, at one point the tracker had him stopped at Morrison, Illinois for a long time, and he was not moving. I thought maybe he turned the tracker off for battery purposes or something, so I just waited and waited at the Mcd's. I kept refreshing the tracker like a crazy person. Eventually, I called his phone, but he didn't pick up. A solid two hours went by without me knowing if he was okay or where he was because he should have been by by now. Finally, I get a call from him, and he's okay. I waited another 15 minutes for him to get to the Mcd's, and did he have a story for me. 

Remember, yesterday was our earliest start at 6:15 am, but now because of what happened he was behind. I'll let him save that story for his entry. Then, later on in the day he got lost. Also, the WIND played a serious factor in his ride yesterday. It was brutal. Don't even get me started on the roads here.

Another thing I love about G is that he is never afraid to ask for help. Some guys try to be all macho and won't say they need help but not him. He called me in the afternoon to pick him up at 6 pm rather than him riding to the hotel because the wind was too much. The pick up place was about 20 miles east of our hotel.

Today, we are aiming for a town called Grundy Center, Iowa. It's about 90 miles from our hotel, BUT I had to drop him off this morning where I picked him up yesterday which adds on another 20 miles. Tomorrow is our day off, so wherever we end up for the night hopefully has some "life" around.


 I know G already showed you a picture of the cheap gas prices, but I snapped a shot of the gas prices as well. I'm slightly confused though because the super is the cheapest and the regular is 30 cents more.


The SPF on the right is 100+, so he sprayed that on his body this morning and will carry it on the back to reapply during the day. The SPF on the right is SPF 110 and specifically for his face. OH, and the new bike seat is a hit!


Apparently, Iowa is home to the Hawkeyes. 


I spent some time yesterday at the Clarence town park. There was a really nice walking path throughout the area. I tried jogging but my headphones kept falling out of my ears. I need to get the kind that go over your head. My students all have Beats by Dr. Dre, but i'm not that cool. 

I found this amusing. The Wi Fi user name and password. Just keeping it simple!!!!  PS. My cell phone was no where in sight of these keys.


Throughout the day G usually sends me cryptic text messages about stuff that he sees that he either wants to share with me or blog about. They usually don't make much sense and are just to trigger the actual thing. So far this morning, I've gotten, "Bear tooth pass" and "20 wash going to sun."

All right. I'm going to check out now and explore Cedar Rapids, which is about 15 miles up the road. Since we're off tomorrow, I'm sure G will update. Have a great day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment