Saturday, July 5, 2014

Day 14: The Gee Brief: Aliens, Engine Lights, Mad Dogs and Methodists...and Rhubarb Pie

Day 14 July 4th

Upper Sandusky, OH to Fort Wayne, IN

Aliens

The day started with me encountering another of those bizarre X-files looking things right outside of my first pit-stop, which was a Marathon gas station. I asked the cashier,  "What the heck is that big silver thing with the tanks and pipes just in back of your store?" She looked at me in wonderment and said, "I have no idea!" I thought, but didn't say, "How can you come to work every day with that thing right outside and NOT know what it is!?" Then I realized... the thing was not in BACK; it was staring at us out of the window. I pointed to it and said, "That!".  She said, "Oh, you mean the elevator!" She looked relieved, since I had led her to believe there was some strange silver contraption in the back of the store. I however, was still perplexed until another customer said, "I work there, what would you like to know?" He then explained that grain went up into the pipes and was directed into whichever holding tank was appropriate for its destination. To be honest, I may just be making up this explanation, because I didn't completely understand his full description. But the bottom line is, these things which are as ubiquitous here as package stores are in CT are NOT the product of aliens; they are used and sometimes owned by the local farmers. (I may also be making up the part about local farmers owning them). Case closed.

Engine lights
I know you've already read J's entry on the fateful happenings of Day 14, but from my perspective, the ordeal she went through, first dealing with fixing the truck, and then being locked out of the motel room for an hour and a half, has earned her the title of BEST ROAD BOSS EVER. The fact that I knew she had our back that day helped me to log in the longest ride I've done yet. My wife is AWESOME! Thank you sweetie!

Dogs

Although the people of Ohio may be the pinnacle of politeness, the DOGS of Ohio are  a different story. In every other state I've ridden, a barking dog usually means you've aroused the attention of a FENCED IN canine that will bark a lot, and then stop after you've passed by. Not in Ohio.

What I didn't know, but was soon to learn was that the Ohio dogs look at cyclist chasing as an organized sport. I'm pretty sure they hold local and state competitions and there's rumors of them trying to take it to the national level. Whatever the organized status is, they definitely take pride in letting cyclists know how fast and far they can run.

It starts with a bark, and then you hear the scuffling of nailed paws on the pavement  RIGHT NEXT TO YOU. You turn your head in disbelief to see a big head, teeth and fur. And then your FLY.  After the first encounter, I was a LITTLE more careful, but after the fourth, I realized that the dogs had unionized and were able to signal their buddies ahead that you were coming. Even though I was ready when my fifth encounter happened, they seemed to be saving the best for last. It was an Australian Shepard, who was running along side a fence. I knew better than to trust the fence, so I accelerated. But super-aussie accelerated too and reached the end of the fence before me. Then she smiled, went around the end of the fence and was running in FRONT of me in the road! So I switched over to the oncoming traffic lane to avoid her. Although there were no cars coming in either direction, I realized this wouldn't last; I decided to take my chances with the fur and teeth rather than 3,000 pounds of car. The aussie and I went side by side until she turned back, content that I would not be back to her turf any more. She could have bit me if she wanted, but seemed content at making me go faster.

Return of the Methodists!

So I met this guy...but let's not hop right in. Let's start with going through the town of Van Wert. Van Wert, OH has an interesting little town center that has about 7 to 9 traffic lights in a distance of
way less than a quarter mile. The town itself is very clean and all the storefronts have a variety of shops and services, but there is almost NOTHING on any of the side streets. In addition, I didn't see any PEOPLE walking around. It looked like a sort of movie set waiting for a scene to happen.

I found that "scene" at a Marathon gas station just down the road. Actually, it wasn't a scene at all, but the gas station had something which the town center lacked: PEOPLE. It started with  Tonya,

Tonya
who like ALL Marathon employees I've encountered was incredibly friendly and enthusiastic about our trip. But then came Rich. Rich either overheard my conversation with Tonya or noticed the cycling outfit, but he began to ask questions and eventually told me that he had owned a cycle shop in Lima in 1984. I told him that I had actually visited Lima in 1984, but I was on a theatre tour, not cycling. He told me that he had intended to go into professional cycling but had been hit by an 18 wheeler which basically ended his plans.
Rich
He came outside to check out Rootbeer, I was about to leave, and then his wife walked by with some pie they had brought for the Marathon gas station workers. I'm telling you, forget visiting the town center, go right through and check out the Marathon a mile or so down the road!

Anyway, Rich asked me if I had ever heard of rhubarb before. I told him, "Of course!" He then told me that one of his specialties was rhubarb pie. He asked me if I wanted a "chunk". I was intrigued. I told him I'd only ever had strawberry-rhubarb pie. So we went back inside and he cut me off a "chunk" of his pie. I felt like Anthony Bourdain travelling to exotic Van Wert, and stumbling across this amazing rhubarb pie chef that the world has yet to hear from.
The pie was AMAZING. This rhubarb pie was to the pie eating world the same as single malt scotch is to the scotch drinking world. It was smooth, flavorful and gave no after-bite type heartburn at all. It beat the daylights out of it's strawberry-rhubarb blend competition.

As we sat there eating pie and talking about Van Wert and life in general, Rich revealed what is probably the most passionate occupation of his life. He told me that he is currently a minister. Fortunately, I had already eaten all the pie, so there was nothing in my mouth to choke on. So I sucked it up, and asked him what his denomination was....wait for it....wait for it.........

He said,.......I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and savior...and proceeded to describe to me what seemed to be a basic non-denominational christian. But he had not said the M word. I breathed a sigh of relief. And then he let the other shoe drop... he told me that they were trying to move into a church on the other side of town that used to be owned by the ....yep you guessed it...by the METHODISTS!!!!!

I told him that God was trying to tell me something. He and his wife, being minister and minster's wife immediately asked me if I had accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior. (not sure if I'm supposed to be capitalizing Savior, but I don't want to take any chances). They're question brought me back to the time in my life when, just as Pi, from "The Life of Pi", I was exploring SEVERAL religions pretty much at the same time. During that time, I had indeed accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior, so I told him "yes".
He and his wife said, "Well then, you're good to go!"

As I cycled away from the Marathon station, I felt GOOD. I hadn't gotten into an in depth conversation with Rich and wife about my CURRENT religious or non-religious beliefs but it didn't seem to matter. Speaking with them made me feel GOOD and that was enough for now.

 Leaving Ohio

The houses in Ohio are not very large,
 but the land surrounding them is. As is the hearts and spirit of the people that live and work in this state. Regarding the house size, it's as if after being completely un-cooped up all day, out in the fields, or just driving a gazillion miles to the store, at the end of the day, it's as if people want to be embraced by their house rather than enveloped by it. The land envelopes one out here. It swallows you whole and makes you part of the corn and wheat that surrounds you constantly. Ohio-ans just seem to prefer something more "cozy" to come home to at the end of the day. But WHY were they so darned friendly????

Rich seems to think it's integrated into the name of the state. He explained by saying Ohhh! Hi! (raising his hand as if to say "Hi") Ohhh! (smiling as if glad to see me!)

For whatever reason, or where ever Ohio people get their nature, I have one final testimony. As I left Ohio, I realized that I hadn't seen a single Dunkin Donuts the entire time. 3 days of riding, and 4 days of actually BEING in the state, and not one small iced coffee with regular cream and sugar, blueberry & vanilla flavoring and a turbo shot. Yet I was STILL happy!...What a state! What a people!

I will miss you Ohio. J and I may be back. We may not. But we will think of you fondly forever.



No comments:

Post a Comment