Thursday, July 17, 2014

Day 26: Chamberlain, SD to Kadoka, SD (J's Version)

Good morning! G had another long mileage day yesterday with 115 miles! The extra hour we gained in the Mountain time zone helped, too. He's on route to Rapid City, SD right now. Rapid City is SD's second largest city, so I'm excited about that. I'll be leaving the hotel in an hour or so to meet him at mile 40 for a break at Wall Drug. We are extremely curious about this Wall Drug because for the last 200 + miles there have been a million hokey billboard signs trying to entice you. The signs don't give too much away to what Wall Drug actually is, but I'm assuming it's kind of a touristy food/store type of place. Of course I could just look it up online, but I'd rather be surprised.

Yesterday, after G and I left each other at the gas stop I encountered major construction about 20 miles down the road. My side of the highway was entirely closed, so they diverted us to the other side of the highway and there was only one lane for either side now being so close to each other. Unfortunately, the construction took away the big shoulder G has been used to. The construction went on for 15 miles!! I texted G right away, and it turns out he ended up riding on the opposite side, so he was riding in the opposite direction of the cars which freaked me out when he told me, but he reassured me it was fine because that side still had the huge shoulder.

Also, he convinced me to go to 1800s Town. 1800s Town along with Wall Drug is advertised all along I90. I wasn't going to go at first, but G said to just check it out for the both of us. I'm glad I did. He was right. It was a little gimmicky and hokey at points but still good none the less, and I killed two hours there. The only bummer was that I didn't have my G with me for the experience.

The academy award winning movie, Dances With Wolves was filmed in South Dakota and 1800s Town will make sure you never forget that. They have a whole section of memorabilia from the movie including Kevin Costner signed posters, stuffed bison, and wolf number 3. Oh, I can't forget to mention the creators of 1800s Town. You can't actually see what the "town" looks like from the outside. They have like a high fence. After you pay your 12 bucks, you are allowed in. The "town" itself reminded me of Back to the Future 3 when Marty goes to the old west to visit Doc. I'll provide you with some pictures of my 1800s Town experience.

Scary! It came out of nowhere. 

Props from the DWW movie.

1880s Town

Saloon

We LOVE San Antonio. The Riverwalk is where it's at!


This is what happens when you don't fill the water bottles properly!



I wish!

I'm honestly not sure exactly what type of animal this is.

G's not the only one who can play with horses.

Have a great day!


1 comment:

  1. 1800's town sounds awesome! I remember all those crazy billboards for Wall drug from my drives out west, but I never went. Hope it's worth all the hype! Way to go Gee, another day over 100 miles! Your amazing!

    ReplyDelete