Thursday, July 10, 2014

Day 17 Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, I FELL! Corn, Corn, Corn WINDMILLS! Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, NICE RESTAURANT IN THE MIDDLE OF NOTHING! Corn

Day 17 July 7th
Oswego, IL to Rock Falls, IL
Retrospect (I'm writing this on our day of rest, day 20)
This day was marked by many miles of corn, which you see pictured next to this house below. This old barn pic actually caused my first fall....at ZERO miles per hour. I had stopped, removed my phone from it's case to take the pic and BAM!...Rootbeer's front tire turned sharply right all by itself, causing me, the camera and the bike to eat tar.
I paid dearly for this pic. ENJOY IT.
After the corn, corn and more corn came LOTS of windmills. I heard a rumor that windmills made a loud noise if you were right up next to them.  This was my chance to find out, so I shot this video: Do windmills make sound?
Nice People, Good Food!

Carol
After my careful scientific research on windmills, I went many more miles of seeing nothing but corn and farms until, out of the blue appeared an oasis of friendliness and food. It was the Sunset Inn Family restaurant. Inside I found a friendly group of Illinois-ans that included Tony, Carol, Mark, George and Veronica. The restaurant was actually closed, but Carol let me in to use the restroom. She also offered to see if the grill was open. I told her not to worry,  but said if they had cold cuts I'd appreciate a sandwich. When I came out of the restoom, she offered me a tuna salad sandwich which I accepted gratefully. I then talked with name and Mark, Veronica and George about my trip and the people of Illinois. George spoke glowingly of Hartford CT where he visited in the 1960's while on active duty in the military. By the way, thank you George for serving our country! At the end of the conversation and my sandwich, I tried to pay, but Tony, the owner refused. I did however, give Carol a tip. Carol, I'm sorry for the blurry pic, but thankfully your endearing smile still shows through my poor photography! After wishing the people of the Sunset Inn good by and receiving well wishes from them, I was on my way, well, sated and re-invigorated as to the innate good and kindness of which the human species is capable! By the way, George is Greek and wanted me to take a closeup of his t-shirt for any fellow Greek people out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment