Saturday, June 28, 2014

Day 7: LaFayette, NY to Canandaigua, NY (J's Version)

Good morning! I'm classing it up today at a Starbucks. Canandaigua is pretty cool. I'm in a little shopping area, and the town is on one of the finger lakes. I'm going to check out the lake after I'm done blogging. It's right down the road. Today was our earliest start. 7:40 am! Time seriously goes by very fast. It's already been a week since we left Portland, ME. We have about 2800 miles left which is awesome considering we started at like 3300.

After I left the Lafayette Mcds yesterday (The law quiz took me forever, but I think I did fine, and I never did get my McNugget) I met up with G for lunch at a Chili's in Auburn. It was supposed to be a light lunch, but it wasn't, and I felt gross after. He was in super good spirits and put some more air in the tires and went on his way. Before he got to Chili's though, he stopped at a Little Caesar's and took a video with the sign flipping guy. It's in his Day 7 entry incase you missed it. G has taken a few really entertaining videos, but it's such a pain to put them on the computer/website. They seem to load forever. He has a droid (I have an IPhone), so I'm not that familiar with the operating system.


Wrong bike!
On the way to Canandaigua, I went through Seneca Falls, which was pretty awesome. Lots of history of women's suffrage. The best part about yesterday was exploring Canandaigua after G was done with his ride. We went downtown and thanks to Yelp found a crepe restaurant. I'm a sucker for crepe, dim sum, and noodle house places. Simply Crepes was simply amazing. I've never seen such a vast variety of crepes. I got a multi cheese stuffed tomato crepe, and G got a California Benedict crepe. THEN, for dessert you could get a Petite crepe which was your choice of 3 mini
Mini Crepes
crepes. I got chocolate mousse, oreo, and cream brule. OMG amazing. They were bite sized desserts just slightly larger than a quarter each. To label them "crepe" though is misleading. It was more like a burst of happiness in an edible graham cup. When G ordered his though, there was a slight miscommunication with the waitress, and she brought out the FULL size order of his 2 mini crepes. Well, you got to do what you got to do. Yes, he ate all them. (I did have a few bites.) The waitress batted her eye lashes in admiration and with a sly smile said in awe, "I'm quite impressed."

Go there!
Then, she proceeded to stand way too close to him and told us about Wegman's grocery store. He had asked her where we could get olive juice (I wonder why). She looked directly into his eyes and sighed, "That's my favorite part of Wegman's. All the way in the back right corner of the store is the olive bar." I, oh so subtly flashed my wedding ring in her face, and we said thanks and goodbye.

But, man, oh man. She was right about Wegman's. Picture if Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Price Chopper/Stop & Shop, and your favorite bar that has live music had a baby. Wegman's shouldn't even be called a grocery store. That's a complete insult. It's Disney. We never would consider going to a supermarket for a date night, but if there was a Wegman's near us, we'd be there on a Saturday night.

Apparently, it's a chain that originated
Candy Section
in Rochester, NY. There's a bunch near here, PA, NJ, and two in Boston I think. If you ever come in contact with a Wegman's please do yourself a favor and go in. The meat guy said the Pittsburg one is 3 times of the Canandaigua size, and let me tell you, this store was enormous. The olive bar lady said, they looked into coming to West Hartford, but the real estate was too expensive. Big surprise there.

We must have looked like complete newbies when we were walking around with our jaws open and stars in our eyes. Our first foray was in the bathroom as soon as we got in the store. When G came out he said, "If the bathroom is any indication of this place then I can't wait to see the rest." There was a massive buffet of pretty much every food you could think of in the middle of the store.
Outdoor café at Wegmen's
The quality looked impressive, too. Not only did they have a nice café area, but they had an outside café area complete with Chef's cooking burgers and other things right outside for you, and a BAR. Yup. A bartender and everything. Comfy couches and tables AND a local musician rocking on his guitar singing cover songs. The song he was singing when we entered that area
was one of OUR songs. Marry Me by the Goo Goo Dolls. How apropos is that?

As we continued our journey through Wegmen's, we found a sushi bar, a mega pick your own candy section, a HUGE meat, and prepared foods section. The olive bar section was equally
Panoramic view of the olive bar.
as impressive. G interviewed the lady who is in charge of the olive bar area. Hopefully, he can get the video up later She was MAD COOL. Totally okay with being on camera and walked us through the process of her job of taking care of the olives. So much pride and dedication. Then, he interviewed the meat kabob guy. Once again, mad chill!
Yes,  I will marry you!

The night ended with me wanting to stay up to watch the premiere of Girl Meets World. Corey and Topanga are all grown up with a 12 yr. old daughter. Corey and Topanga are only a few years older than me and don't seem old enough (nor look old enough) to have a kid in middle school. Granted it was only the first episode, but the show did not have the heart as Boy Meets World had. Although, William Daniels, (FEENY!!!) did have a cameo.

Have a great day :o)


No comments:

Post a Comment