Monday, June 23, 2014

Day 2 The Longer Gee Brief

Sunday, June 22
Day 2: Concord, NH to 10 miles east of Wilmington, VT
Miles ridden: 77
Total So Far: 164
Miles to go: 3093

Sunday morning started inauspiciously with me still trying to figure out how to make the Garmin do my bidding. I rode for a while in the wrong direction until Garmin and I had a little talk, and he (she?) sent me off toward Vermont.

The first thing I noticed was a massive decrease in the amount of motorcycles.  I could hear birds chirping and fish swimming. Apparently the motorcycle convention was in a different direction than VT.

The second thing I noticed was how amazingly beautiful VT is! Also, the drivers were a LOT nicer than the previous two states. Route 9 was absolutely gorgeous and VERY cyclist friendly. They created a rumble strip (see pic) between the car area and the cycle lane. That way, if you're tooling down the cycling lane on your bike and you hear the GRRRRRMBBBBLE of a car tire hitting the rumble strip behind you, you have enough warning to JUMP OFF THE ROAD!  Fortunately, that didn't happen, but the whole set up made me feel very safe.

That night we slept in an Inn that was more of a destination than a one night stop (see J's entry) and had a wonderful dinner at The Anchor. The bulk of that wonderful dinner was spent reveling in the US tying their soccer game. A win would have been nice, but tying will do for now. The US is going all the way with this thing. You heard it here first!

Also, Team Gerenifer had its first pit stop. J met me along highway 9 to bring me a special tool for readjusting my seat. The transition was flawless.

No comments:

Post a Comment