Friday, June 27, 2014

Day 7 The Gee Brief: Weird Guys, Cool Smells, Western Towns and the Pizza Dance

WEIRD GUYS IN THE GARAGE
The day started inauspiciously when I ran into this strange guy in Leah and Tom's garage.  He told me he was out of work and wanted to know if he could bum a ride to Oregon sitting on my handle bars. Talk about bush league!

We took one last look at the Fulton Hilton and headed off to the Lafayette McDonalds. As soon as I got on the bike, I realized something was VERY different. It just felt right. More than right...it felt perfect. The day off had definitely helped, but that didn't explain how awesome it felt riding Jenard. It was something else. Then I remembered the seat. Tracey Doyle (see Day 6) had helped me adjust the angle of the seat and lock it in so that it would STAY there instead of riding back down.
The angle may look a bit severe, but it works. As a matter of fact it is the best seat height and angle I have ever used. No knee pains, no foot pains, just sheer cycling heaven. As a matter of fact, if you want to really know how wonderful this new position was, this video capture sit PERFECTLY.
Only rather than Aladdin and Princess Jasmine imagine it's my body having a conversation with the seat.

New topic: THE STRAIGHT POOP ON SMELLS

I know this is going to sound weird, but I LOVE the smell of horses and cows! Before you get judgmental let me explain. I DO have my standards and it's not just ANY horse and cow smell that I like. It has to be a combination of horses, cows, a farm, some hay, a field and wood fences. The kind that you would find in a setting like the one pictured above. The day was filled with views and smells like this. It was simply awesome. When I wasn't riding through the country, I was riding through towns like this pictured below to the right.
Upstate New York towns remind me of old west towns. We settled for the night in Canandaigua which looks very much like the picture, which I think is Geneva or Seneca Falls. We had a wonderful dinner at Simply Crepes and then discovered a grocery store called Wegmans. Describing and fully expressing the joy that is Wegmans would take a lot more time than I have at the moment.  Check out J's entry tomorrow for the full Wegman story.

Before I end for the night here's the Pizza Dance I mentioned in the title of this post. There's actually two guys in the video. Personally, I think the second one has real talent.  Cool Pizza Dance.

Almost forgot to give the days stats. Here they are:
Miles today: 67
Total so far: 431
Miles to go: 2841

Weather: PERFECT. Sunny w/intermittent clouds.
Road: Amazing! One hill in the beginning and then mostly flat or downhill
Wind: Light headwind
Physical: Absolutely great! A whole new world! Could have done 30 more miles. No aches or pains!


No comments:

Post a Comment