Monday, June 23, 2014

Day 3: The Gee Brief: I LOVE VERMONT AND NEW YORK!

Miles ridden: 77
Total so far: 241
Miles to go: 3021

I LOVE VERMONT AND NEW YORK!

The states are sooo beautiful...the people are soooo nice!  I want to focus on just ONE story.  I stopped into the establishment you see pictured on the left to purchase the beverage you see pictured on the right. I tried to pay with a credit card, but there was a minimum price of 10 dollars. I didn't have cash, so I offered to buy a 9 dollar nick nack to make up the difference.  I didn't want the nick nack, but I was thirsty. The lady, named Donna, said, "Don't worry about it, it's on me".  I said, "No, I can't do that, let me buy this $9 decorative butter knife."  We went back and forth until she said my favorite phrase.  "Look" she said, "Just pay it forward".  I LOVE that phrase!  I LIVE that phrase.  So I told her I would and went on my way no longer thirsting spiritually or physically. During this encounter, I remember saying, "You people from Vermont are sooooo nice!!!"  She handled it quite graciously and said, "Uh...you're in New York".

So...thank you Donna!  And if anyone else reading this, is ever in Bennington, NEW YORK, please stop by the Bennington Pottery Outlet and tell Donna what a sweet lady she is. It wouldn't hurt if you buy something too, because I owe her a few dollars.

One last thing:
I ordered a camera to mount to my helmet. I went down a three mile 8% grade today that was sheer adrenaline.  I was screaming my head off in howls of crazy joy. Not sure if a helmet mounted camera will capture the full experience, but I'm going to try.  I'm sure there are at least a FEW more cool downhills to capture.

One last last thing:
Grooved pavement would seem to be a problem.  But I found out today that the type of tires I'm using aren't bothered at all by it.  The brand is Armadillo, made by Specialized. It's made of Kevlar and proved itself to be well worth the price today.

That's it for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment